Thursday, July 16, 2020

20A – Growing Your Social Capital

The first person I engaged with is a family friend of ours who has owned multiple successful businesses throughout the time I have known him. Walter has owned these businesses that have allowed him to grow his franchise and venture in to many different categories as well. He has a lot of experience in retail as most of his businesses focus on this. Walter is filling my domain expert slot because he has extensive knowledge on retail and was able to give me multiple tips on selling the product and advertising it. He also said that if I am serious about the service, he would help in any way possible.
The second person I targeted for my expert in my market was Jonathan Rivers. Jonathan is very well know in my community for a free bike program that he has established for everyone to use. He has also tried many other products within the community and has great experience with trials and errors. I found him by simply knowing about the business he had and meeting up with him at his office. Jonathan offered advice and support for my business idea. He loved the idea and believes it would benefit a lot of people in the community.
The last person I contacted was Julie who works for the community service center on the post I am trying to install a bus system on. She has a lot of experience selling different products to the same target group and had very good advice on advertisement and how to get the word out. She stated how she would look into other organizations on post to see if any would support my idea or help me start it.
I enjoyed doing this activity as it allowed me to see and meet with other entrepreneurs who supported my idea. It definitely motivated me to continue trying for this idea. It showed me that there are many needs for this community and it'll take some work to achieve the business I want but I will get there eventually. 

2 comments:

  1. Hey Heather. I think it's great that you have a lose family friend who can extend his knowledge and potentially be of help to you when rolling out your idea. I also thought it was useful to utilize someone who has knowledge in advertising. That is often an area I don't hone in on and really should be. I also enjoyed this activity! It felt great to extend my network.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Heather, you are so lucky to have a friend with so much business knowledge and experiences. I thought it was a great idea to find someone in a community service center to help get your name out there. I did find this exercise helped me recognize potential contacts that I may not thought of otherwise. Really great job on this.

    ReplyDelete