Monday, May 11, 2020

3A - My Entrepreneurship Story

Growing up, my parents (mostly my dad) seemed to constantly be doing something or changing his job or trying something new. He went from being an IT technician, to owning two hardware stores, to selling coral frags from the garage, to becoming an engineer. Of course there were a few other hobbies in between those. It was honestly crazy!

My experience growing up around this was pretty poor. There were never any successful outcomes to any of these "hobbies" or "dreams". Sure, there was always the potential outcome of making good money and being able to hand these businesses down, but it was only a dream. Many of these businesses were shut down or sold because of lack of profit or lack of funds.

I have nothing against looking to be an entrepreneur because you never know what could happen, but I have definitely seen, first hand, how it can go wrong and how it can impact your life, mentally, physically, and financially.

I enrolled in this class to learn more about what it means to be an entrepreneur. It seems like a really interesting class and its honestly very different than any of the classes I've taken before! I'm really excited to see what comes out of this!

4 comments:

  1. Hello

    It is good to read that you have some exposure to entrepreneurship in the past. I think that even that your experience was not al successful you were able to gain a really valuable experience. As you mention now you know what can go wrong, so if you decide to go into the world of entrepreneurs you know what you should not do. Moreover, I think that your past experiences can help you to have a good performance in this class. I agree with you that this class is different, and I think is going to help us in our future careers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed learning about your past exposure to entrepreneurship. It seems like you were able to really see what works or what does not work. Also, this shows how hard it is to run your own business. I think it is interesting that you called some of them "hobbies" because I see it the same way. I feel like sometimes people do not have enough time or resources to keep a business going because they see it as a back up or hobby like you said. I agree that being an entrepreneur can definitely be mentally, physically, and financially draining. I also feel the same way about this class because none of my past classes have been taught this way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like your dad had a very entrepreneurial spirit and although maybe there weren't successes, I am sure he learned valuable lessons through that journey. The whole mentality of an entrepreneur is to have their idea become a great, successful business and there is a lot of sweat and tears that goes into creating a business. I am sure your father experienced those emotions. I can attest how hard it is running a business as I have had quite a few- some more successful than others but I have learned something valuable from each of them. -Carrie Steinolfson

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Heather. I found it really interesting reading about your past experiences with entrepreneurship. It definitely seems like you learned a thing or two from your past experiences with entrepreneurship, which can only help you in the future. One thing I found interesting about your post is that hobbies and entrepreneurship can seem to get confused together.

    ReplyDelete